How can we improve Kickstarter games?

Pledges

I sometimes want to join a game, but there is only one member or just a few. I don't want to join until there are more. If others are thinking like me, then we will never join, though we would have if we had known the others were interested.

Now I'm running my own DietBet with a high bet price. I know many people would be interested in joining, but only if others were committed to joining too. I wish people could click something that says, "I pledge to join this DietBet if the number of pledges gets up to 10 (or whatever)."

They can pay the price upon pledging with the stipulation that if the number of people they require do sign up, the funds will be kept and they will have joined the game. If their required numbers do not sign up, then they will have their funds returned.

Anyhow, just a thought. I hope you consider it.

131 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    KightKight shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Aaron DickinsonAaron Dickinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reading the comments, I do like the idea of bookmarking or favoriting a game. That's a very simple concept. When a favorited game is close to starting, an email can be sent to remind the user to check it out.

• Aaron DickinsonAaron Dickinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that we need to be careful not to add too many options to the system. More options can lead to analysis paralysis and hurt activity.

• Toby DelrahimToby Delrahim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, can be a bit weird to join a game and then find out later they all know each other and they aren't really interacting on the website etc. I also tried making my own game and invited friends for $50, and they said it was too expensive so I ended up contact customer support to get the game canceled so that I could just join another cheaper game with my friend and I joined another game to get up to the $50 total that I wanted per month. This affects any game with more than $25 a month commitment, gets weird getting people to sign up. Would help if games had a "reserve" or minimum, and that all games less than 5 people would get merged together into a single game at the same price point.

• Paula Wong DorflingPaula Wong Dorfling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to "book mark" games I am interested in joining, without actually committing to them. I don't like having to scroll through the list of games to find one I am keeping an eye on.

• AnnAnn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel the same way about games with very few participants, but "pledging" does sound like a logistics nightmare. I'm with Nick Koster's suggestion to solve this problem:

"Why not make a button that says 'I'm interested', and next to it a counter that reflects the amount of people interested. People can make the decision to join the bet on their own, based on that counter."

• KristinKristin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that's a great idea - I started a game with a low bet so it stayed way down on the list and we've only gotten 5 members and $75 - I'm hopefully we'll all win but afraid the people I convinced to join will still lose money... This is also why I just made a suggestion to make up the cut DietBet takes when all win in DietBet chips or credits.

• Nick KosterNick Koster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excellent idea! I'd like to join many games but I hate it when there is nobody participating. Why not make a button that says 'I'm interested', and next to it a counter that reflects the amount of people interested. People can make the decision to join the bet on their own, based on that counter. So no logistics there.

• BleuBleu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not exactly sure how the logistics would work out, but I like this idea too! I'm pretty sure this is the mindset behind a lot of players' decision to join a game or not. Or maybe you can implement a way to make a game "on" only if it reaches a certain number of players (kinda like on groupon)? That way, people can show their interest but are not committed to pay forth the bet unless the game is of a substantial size.

• Renee T.Renee T. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree! I'm not joining a small bet just to lose the weight but win less than my initial bet because of all the fees. It's got to be a big bet for me to put my money on the line.

• Patrick KilhofferPatrick Kilhoffer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I don't think I would join a smaller bet pool, but I would be willing to pledge to join if the amount reached a certain point.

I understand that Paypal, etc take a percentage though, so it would probably have to be a game credit and not refundable.

Feedback and Knowledge Base