How can we improve Kickstarter games?

Dietbet percentage

I suggest DB takes it's percentage up front before $$ go into the "pot" so the pot reflects a more accurate number for winnings.

128 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Karyn Karyn shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The way I understand the sliding scale fee, is that it is based on the size of the bet to join the game, not on the size of the pot. If it is a 30 dollar bet they take 25% whether the pot is 1,000 or 100,000. Which creates the same amount of payout to us if the same percentage of people win, but a much bigger payout to dietbet. The encouragement to invite friends to grow the pot really only benefits dietbet, not the players.

I would love to see the percentage they take out on a sliding scale based on the size of the pot rather than just the initial bet. They would still make a fairly large amount when users help a pot grow so large, but it would allow us much bigger payouts and be more encouraging to join more bets.

The current wording is misleading.

• Jim GarlandJim Garland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand that Diet Bet gets, and deserves, a cut of the pie. But It doesn't seem fair that you're publicizing a pot total on my Dashboard that you're not really giving away. You show the total pot for the round, but you take your cut and then split the rest among winners. I'm suggesting you show more transparency: list the total pot and also list what the pot will be after your cut, the amount that winners will actually split. My payout was only 75% of what I expected, because I was led to believe we were splitting everything shown.

• KirstenKirsten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ohhhhh.. I was confused at first. You mean you'd like the pot to represent the amount that is available to be divided up among the winners? I like that. So instead of all the money going into the pot and then when the game ends, dietbet takes its cut and THEN we get whatever's left over. You're proposing that they take the cut before it goes into the pot to start with. I see what the others are saying about the sliding scale, but could a simple solution be that right after the game starts they take their cut? So as the players sign up, an estimated $ amount is shown, but once the game begins, their percentage is taken and then we know what $ amount we are actually playing for. I think that could be more motivating instead of waiting around wondering at the end of the game.

• TashFinnTashFinn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This wouldn't necessarily be possible, considering the percentage is on a sliding scale based on how much is in the pot on the start date. It can be anywhere from 10-25%, so it wouldn't be an accurate portrayal of funds until all of the entries had been made. Plus, there are withdrawals which make it hard to predict how much they are actually going to take until everything is final.

• Suzy .Suzy . commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That would leave the issue of the "guarantee" where if a large number wins, no one loses even if Dietbet has to forfeit its share which makes it impossible to predict the exact share, and there is also the case of cancelled games. One way to remedy that is to just "show" the pot minus the percentage without actually taking it off, and only withdraw their cut later - less logistic complications. Otherwise, great idea and I would vote for it if I had votes left.

• cjthurmancjthurman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was just about to post this myself - especially now that the Dietbet percentage has gone up by so much. It would be nice to how how much is available to win.

Feedback and Knowledge Base