How can we improve Transformer games?

Healthier weight loss goals

Losing 3% of your weight in your first month might be easy for those just starting their diets, but for people who have been dieting for weeks or months it is too high. If I am to lose 3% in the first month to win round 1 I need to lose just over 2 pounds a week(I weigh 268), which is above what dietitians recommend for most folks, and certainly a hard goal in any case. I think the Round goals for winnings should be

Round 1
2.5%
180 pounds(4.5 lb), 250(6.25 lb)

Round 2
2.5%

Round 3
2%

Round 4

1.5%

Round 5

1%

Round 6

0.5%

It would be a much healthier way to lose the weight and would put less pressure on extremely low calorie unsustainable eatting.

37 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    William Hoar shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to agree with this one. In my first DietBet, I lost something like 40 pounds and it was entirely do-able with strict discipline. In my second, I lost the additional weight successfully but it was MUCH dicier and MUCH more difficult, and I had to stay at an 1100-calorie level which was arguably too low, and work out 2-3 hours 6 days out of 7. I've therefore hesitated to sign up for a 6-month Round 3, though I have more to drop to get to my final goal. A slower-paced option would be great. People could choose whether to go balls-to-the-wall (especially for initial efforts), and take it at a more 'livable' level for later efforts ... which, by the way, would also lead up to adjusting one's efforts for a 'maintenance' level DietBet once one becomes available. It's a progression.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I started Weight Watchers in January 2014 and lost already about 45lbs when I joined the DB10. When I finish as a winner (IF) I will be at m goal weight. The first two rounds (starting weight about 160lbs - I hope that is right, we mesure in Kilograms over here) and had about 5 lbs to loose each month. I do not find that too high, it seems to be more of the average a "lighter" person can loose in a month. I met both my goals, the second one included Christmas and New Year's Eve - and I always get the feeling I eat a lot more than many of the other participians, so I am not on a very strict diet.

• Dara Tarolli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is much easier for someone weighing over 250 to lose than it is for someone weighing half as much. 2 pounds a week is a goal for people at nearly normal weight. I know because I have weighed every weight between 113 and 270. At 270, dietingis a breeze once you have the motivation.

• jhostman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The heavier you are (especially if you're in an obese or higher BMI range), the more you can safely lose at a time. If you're eating a healthy amount of calories, above your BMR, then you're fine to lose more than 2lbs a week.

• stealthrelentless commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Personally I wish there was a higher one, you can lose weight healthily as is, but there was a point where I was worrying about getting DQ for losing too much weight. I'm sure it is a different story being more in shape but as is, 10% sometimes seems too easy. If it was 12% then it could be 2% per month or something similar.

• Debbie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree… It was easy losing fast at the beginning, but I only have 25 pounds more to lose to get to MY goal weight (2 pounds for the 6 month bet that ends in 2 1/2 months…I'll make that). However, if I join another Transformer, I am not going to lose 6-7 pounds in one month… for me, that is not healthy… 4 pounds is. And, being older, I don't lose as fast as I used to.

I really want to join another bet, but that 4% for the first month will finish me before I start. Not much incentive to pay up front when I know I won't make the first month or two for sure. :(

I'm sad… this DietBet is a great concept, but for those who are near the finish line for weight loss, 4% in a month just may not be doable.

Feedback and Knowledge Base